Behavioral Health Consultant
Schafer Consulting Inc. is a behavioral health consultant company serving hospitals, health care systems and academic medical centers. Established in 1993, we work nationally and specialize in behavioral health service line operations assessments, turnaround, interim management, financial improvement, patient safety, compliance, and strategic planning. We have extensive experience meeting CMS regulations and Joint Commission standards.
Schafer Consulting Corporate Profile
Locations & Contact Information
Schafer Consulting works with hospital Behavioral Health service lines throughout the United States and its territories. Our offices are located near Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, Bethesda Maryland and Boynton Beach Florida.
Send Us a Message to learn more about us or to discuss a project.
Phone: (724) 213-0200
The partners at Schafer Consulting Inc. owned, managed and operated psychiatric hospitals and clinic systems prior to starting our company in 1993. We have also been Executive Directors and senior managers of non-profit community mental health centers.
We have a strong sensitivity to successful long-term strategic plans; strong market position; accessible, efficient, and qualitative service delivery systems; viable financial operations; federal and state compliance and national accreditation.
Our success with healthcare planning and transformation projects stem from connecting behavioral health operations to real world business requirements and providing the Client with unique tools to measure and track ongoing performance.
We recently completed work with diverse, large healthcare systems:
- Texas Health Resources – Operations Turnaround for the Behavioral Health service line’s inpatient and outpatient system. THR Texas Health Resources is one of the largest faith-based, nonprofit health systems in the United States. It has more than 24,000 employees, over 350 points of access in North Texas, 29 hospital locations including acute care, short stay, rehabilitation and transitional care facilities. The Behavioral Health system operates 6 psychiatric facilities, an 80 bed residential drug treatment facility, a mobile assessment team, and a comprehensive outpatient behavioral health system providing care in 17 locations. Successful oversight of extensive operational and physical plant improvements relative to enhanced patient safety, CMS and Joint Commission requirements. Arlington, Texas
- Stony Brook University Medical Center’s Behavioral Sciences – Performance Improvement Directors; adult inpatient psychiatric unit, a children’s inpatient psychiatric unit, a large Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, and outpatient services.
- Cambridge Health Alliance – Restructuring Officers for turnaround of a Behavioral Health at a Harvard affiliated teaching hospital in the Boston area operating 4 inpatient psychiatric units and an outpatient system with 110,000 visits per year. This system piloted medical homes and integrated behavioral health with primary care. Cambridge, MA
- Sentara Healthcare – Behavioral health product line business, operations, and market assessment including demand analysis for inpatient geriatric psychiatry unit, expanded adult inpatient unit, strategic service line plan, management and throughput of mental health/substance abuse patients in the emergency departments of 4 regional medical centers. Virginia Beach, VA
- Parkland Hospital and Health System – Interim Psychiatric Service Line management; behavioral health service line assessment, CMS compliance turnaround implementation. Dallas, Texas
- HealthPartners Medical Group – Operations Assessment and Portfolio of Financially Quantified Opportunities for Operational Improvement in Behavioral Health for a 100-bed psychiatric hospital and outpatient system (16 clinics). St. Paul, MN
- Boys and Girls Home and Family Services – Interim CEOs; business, operations, management assessment; PRTF conversion, turnaround management for $61 million children and youth service system with a major child welfare privatization project, psychiatric residential treatment facilities, and community based services operating in Iowa, Nebraska, and Alaska – on behalf of Wells Fargo Bank Bond Trustee and Bond Holders; Sioux City, IA
Mr. Shapiro and Mr. Schafer and their consultants have worked together for over 20 years as senior executives and consultants in the behavioral health and human service field. They have led business, financial, program/clinical, independent review, accreditation, compliance, physician recruitment, marketing, partnership/merger/acquisition, and information system projects throughout the United States and Canada.
Mr. Schafer has over 35 years’ experience in the behavioral health and human services as fields as a psychotherapist, program director, administrator, hospital system vice president, and, since 1993, as founder and president of Schafer Consulting Inc.
He has led many projects for state and local government behavioral health and human service departments as well as for hospital system, community mental health centers, psychiatric product lines of regional medical centers, children and youth organizations, provider networks, private practices, multi-state human service systems, group practices, Indian Tribes, foundations, and associations. He has provided program due diligence for mergers and acquisitions in the field.
He has published numerous articles related to child welfare, behavioral health, managed care, and social service planning.
He is often engaged to provide program and operations assessments, system transformation, compliance engineering, strategic and business planning, market research and payer relations, turnaround management, and productivity improvement for all levels and types of behavioral health, child welfare and juvenile justice organizations.
Prior to founding Schafer Consulting Inc. in 1993, Mr. Schafer was a Vice President for United Psychiatric Group. UPG operated eight psychiatric hospitals and residential treatment programs. He focused on national business development and government contracting, was on the lead start up team for three new hospitals, and established a Canadian private practice subsidiary. While at UPG he helped increase revenues from $35 to over $100 million annually.
He graduated with from Earlham College in 1969 with honors. He received his M. Div. in 1972 with a dual major in religion and psychology from Andover Newton Theological School. While there he completed collaborative studies through the Boston Theological Union which included Harvard Divinity School, Boston College, Boston University. His post graduate studies included a year and a half of training in Analytical Psychology at the Jung Institute in Zurich, Switzerland.
Mr. Shapiro received his MBA in hospital and health administration, and BA with honors from the University of Iowa.
Mr. Shapiro has extensive financial, management, and development experience and is often involved at a senior executive level to improve profitability, negotiate agreements, develop strategies, and lead organizational transformation.
Mr. Shapiro founded Managed Health Consultants in Bethesda, Maryland in 1992 to apply sound business principles and technical tools to social service agencies, behavioral health organizations, hospitals, and government agencies. In an era of increasing costs and decreasing reimbursement, there was a need to provide non-profits with crucial tools to decrease organization costs and overhead and to employ quantitative analysis to make informed decisions. Mr. Shapiro and Managed Health Services have provided hospitals, nonprofit agencies, and governmental organizations with critical consulting regarding their growth and development.
Prior to founding Managed Health Services and later joining Schafer Consulting Inc., Mr. Shapiro was Chief Operating Officer of Tenet’s Healthcare’s Special Services Division of 55 Psychiatric Hospitals. After this Mr. Shapiro was President and owner of United Psychiatric Systems, a group of 8 psychiatric and residential treatment facilities in the Midwest. Mr. Shapiro has owned and managed numerous outpatient and inpatient facilities throughout the U.S.
Since 1993, Schafer Consulting has uniquely specialized in behavioral health care operations throughout the United States. We look forward to speaking with you about your specific needs and invite you to call us at (724) 213-0200 or contact us in confidence.